Wednesday 27 January 2016

12 Questions For... Al Pitcher

Al Pitcher is the award winning Kiwi who Zoo magazine say is the UK's 6th best comedian.


Superbad Magazine: What 5 words do you think most accurately describe your personality?

Al Pitcher: "Humble, modest, shy, insecure, Amazing."

Superbad:  If you could have a dinner party / drinking session with any comedians (from past or present) who would you invite round to your house?

Al: "I would invite Tommy Cooper because he makes me cry with laughter. It would only be him and I, it would go for days. I am not a magic fan , but his nonsense his just the greatest thing."

Superbad: What do you hate most about your life right now - are there any things that must change?

Al: "I do all my shows in Sweden , its a brilliant country but its also a BIG country , so the travel can be a pain. Although any comedian who complains about life,"the job" can piss off. Its an incredible thing doing this, I am a jokes sales person , I am going door to door trying to make people laugh. Its a wonderful life."

Superbad: Which comedy films have you re-watched the most times? Are there any films you know every line from?

Al: "I envy those gifted folk who can recite complete movies. I loved Life of Brian, I think it is actually genius and genius is said way too often. I think it shows the bonkers world in which we live in with religion. It’s fantastic. Not a comedy as such but I loved Kes, I was born up north in England so I know that world a bit. The football match scene. Brilliant."

Superbad: What's the best thing about New Zealand?

Al: "The people, of course its beautiful , but the folk maketh the land. It can be very strange to walk into a shop and the person greets you with "good morning, having a good day." You look around to see if its a candid camera show. But I only realise how beautiful the place is , now that I live miles away."

Superbad: Would you make a good president/prime minister - how would you sort out the current situation in Syria?

Al: "Mate, I don't have the answers. I don't know what we can do. I know violence against violence never works on any level. I can see that the oil and big money is involved. But I also see the people of Syria running away from it all , how can we not help them ? They have nothing, they don't want to leave , but they have to. We have to step up as individuals and help. Also I would be a Donald Trump kind of Politician, a complete fool. How the shit is he getting a chance?"

Superbad: What can you cook? Are you good in the kitchen?

Al: "I have an amazing talent in the kitchen , I just seem to get in the way. I do fresh pasta (from a packet, I’m not an idiot) my son calls it "rump pasta", rump means arse. It’s an awkward shopping visit. I actually played Gordon Ramsay in a TV sketch in Sweden, it was such a release of energy, just shouting and throwing shit."

Superbad: What was the last album you bought or downloaded?

Al: "I have a streaming subscription so sadly that buzz of getting the album (I am old enough) or the C.D has gone. It’s sad that we don’t have that anymore . My first Album was David Bowie - Lets Dance , Bowie fans tell me it’s one of his bad ones. I still love it. I think my latest album was by The National, that guy could sing me to sleep each night with his soothing tone, might be awkward for my marriage."

Superbad: What's the punch line of your favourite joke?

Al: "My own joke is: “you shot a dolphin Barry " (about NZ navy in a tug boat going to the middle east to sort it all out). My favourite joke end is: "So yeah...shhh. .. Here they come now". All said as someone enters the room, it’s a classic."

Superbad: "Have you ever had a religious experience?

Al: "No not religious , I had a bizarre moment at school , we had priests and Brothers teaching us at a catholic school, one day an earthquake hit, the first shake was greeted by Brother Thorpe as its ok, no panic , stay calm. Then the 2nd shake was loads bigger and Brother Thorpe as he is ducking under his table he shouts "this is FUCKEN huge, for Fucks sake , get under the desks you little assholes ". We didn't love."

Superbad: What advice would you give to a young stand-up comic that's just starting out?

Al: "Remember all your stories, all your life moments. Those are the ones that separate you from anyone else. And don't be a Dick."

For more info on Al: visit: http://www.alpitcher.com

Drawing of Al by Adrian R. Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment